From:
Leslie Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:04:17 -0600
Jessica -
  Please get real!  I haven't slept through the night in 25 3/4 years (can
you tell how long I've been a mother).

  Lyn Johnston (For Better Or For Worse, a cartoon strip) did one after Elly
(the mother) had a baby with two teenagers in the house. Just as she's
falling asleep from the baby's night waking, the teen son comes home (door
slamming, lights, tv on etc). And she comments to her husband - I know why
old people don't sleep much. They've forgotten how.

Just as soon as you have baby making it most of the night, you either have:
A preschooler with sleeping problems. Or perhaps an elementary schooler who
'forgot' to tell you that ____is needed by Ms Perfect Teacher tomorrow
(translation you are up half the night doing it), that is until you learn to
say, take your lumps for 'forgetting' to tell me. Or perhaps you have a teen
(either by nature up half the night themselves, or falling asleep with a
stereo going, or coming in - unless way past curfew - making enough noise to
wake the dead). Or you have a young adult (translation, away from home and
homesick) who calls at 4AM to tell you she loves you (just finished watching
a tear jerking movie) without realizing that her 10PM is my 4AM and that my
heart stopped and fell to the floor when I saw the phone was ringing at 4AM
(I bit my tongue hard and told her yes I loved her too). And not by design,
over the years, I've had several combinations of the above at the same time.

I am amazed that I'm not totally insane . . .who cares how much sleep I get
at night!

Leslie Ward, LLL
Fort Hood, TX
currently mom to two teenagers . . .and no other abnormalities (LOL).