From:
Jo-Anne and Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 20:35:30 -0400
Elisheva wrote,

>  I know that in my children's school, if a child was bored by, say,
> math, we wouldn't say, "Gosh, that child has such a bad attitude to this
> important subject."   We'd say, "Well, we seem to be teaching math in a
> way
> that is completely failing to engage this child."

My experience is, I guess, different. When my child is bored or restless
at school, the usual response from professionals is that there is
something wrong with the child. It comes from that attitude that "all I
can do is teach, he has to take the responsibility for his own
learning." There is little interest in the learning style, lifestyle or
family values of the child involved.
My experience with breastfeeding counsellors, LCs and LLL-Leaders is
that the good ones do take all those things -- lifestyle, values,
personality, preferences, etc. -- into account when they try to reach or
help or counsel the mother. It is certainly emphasized in our
Application that we are to actively listen, meet the mother where she
is, provide whatever information she asks for and provide her with
support and validation. However, if a mother doesn't call us or come to
a meeting, we don't have an opportunity to hear what she has to say or
provide her with what she needs.
In some communities, there is a real "coalition" of breastfeeding
advocates: Leaders, LCs, Public Health, volunteers, parents. They work
together to meet the whole range of needs and preferences of mothers. I
think that what Jennifer's comment suggests is that more and more
mothers seem to feel that breastfeeding is a medical issue rather than a
relationship.
Jo-Anne, who would have said exactly the same things before she was
accredited. And other Lactnuts will vouch for that!