Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:41:08 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
With mom's permission I am posting for assistance here.

I have a mom who is part of my sisterhood support group who is >8 weeks postpartum. She had her first attack of pancreatitis during pregnancy. Breastfeeding has been a challenge. Baby was born with a tongue tie which has been clipped but it is noticed that he still has a quite shallow latch and a possible tie on the upper lip. After 6 weeks of extrememly sore, red, bleeding nipples (cracked with nipple shield prior to my meeting mom) mom took baby off of the breast and started pumping. Mom has now been pumping exclusively for the past 4 weeks. Nipples have recovered  nicely and bonding with baby is now happening. :). 

All would be good, but now mom has had two attacks from the pancreatitis in the last 3 weeks. Both attacks requiring heavy meds and lots of advice from infant risk center on meds and breastfeeding. The most recent one was more of an allergy attack to what she thinks was poppyseeds. Steroids and benadryl and now a dry mom waiting on the delivery of Domperidone to the pharmacy here in Vegas so she can get her supply back.

So questions are:

Is there any link between raynaud's and pancreatitis or autoimmunie diseases? ie- were the sore nipples from bad latch or from something else?

Pancreatitis and breastfeeding; does the breastfeeding/lactation aggrivate the pancreatitis?

New allergies: Is there a common incidence of new allergies postpartum in mom's without autoimmunie situations, without pancreatitis, and with?

Thanks for any help you can provide. She will be going our of state for more help with the pancreatitis in a few weeks but until then any help would be greatly appreacaited.

Lisa Weinshenker, RN, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2