Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 08:40:11 EDT
Lisa has alerted us to the live audioconferences being sponsored by Mead
Johnson regarding DHA and ARA. I have an invitation to these conferences that is
deeply concerning to me. Some of the faculty's research is directly funded by
Mead Johnson, making their ability to present data quite suspect. If anyone has
participated in or plans to participate in one of these programs I would very
much like to know what is said and what materials were distributed.

As to what questions to ask during the interactive portion, I have a few on
my list! Most of the studies that have been published on these fatty acids have
been funded by formula companies and suffer from some rather obvious
deficiencies such as small sample numbers, large attrition rates with no explanation,
no exclusively breastfed control groups, starting of the experimental formula
after a month of age, no sick infants, twins, or any other type of baby that
would also receive this formula in the community, etc. Companies claim that
there are no reported problems with their formula, but the studies typically drop
any babies that do not tolerate the study formula, do not report on this or
include them in their final analysis which enables them to state that there are
no side effects!

Large fat supplementation of infant foods has started to raise the question
about their contribution to overweight and obesity. The DHA and ARA in infant
formula is handled differently by the body than the DHA and ARA found in human
milk. These fatty acids are found in very different positions and numbers on
the triglycerides in babies who consume formulas. I am very worried about the
parents who are duped into thinking that these formulas will result in health
and cognitive outcomes that are equivalent to babies who have been breastfed or
received human milk. What is even worse is that health care providers will
believe the hype and data manipulation by formula companies and lend their
blessing to the use of these products. What they do not seem to realize is that the
accuracy and reliability of tests used to determine visual and cognitive
effects of fatty acids during the first 2 years of life are controversial.

I have a referenced handout on the possible adverse effects of the added
fatty acids that I use when I lecture on this topic, which I would be happy to
share with any of you who would like a copy.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA