From:
Marsha Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2004 13:41:18 -0500
Rachel said,
However, he thought that a class action suit of dissatisfied parents
would be a useful tactic. The problem is that it is difficult to prove
damages in such a case.  Damages have to be short-term and visible for a
jury to understand their impact.

I have thought about this since I went through all the mess I did with
our hospital.  The perfect cases for a class-action lawsuit would be
cases of NEC among preterm babies whose moms want to breastfeed, but are
not supported and the baby gets formula.  We had 2 such cases in the
last months of my employment and this was suggested to me as a possible
course of action by a breastfeeding mom who was a former patient and is
an attorney.  The problem would be that you'd have to contact the
families and discuss this with them and that would be painful for them
at this point.  Anyone see this as a possibility?  I tried to get this
possible consequence across to the hospital.  Of course, they didn't
care, because formula is still the "standard".

Marsha
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future
generations as all other earthly causes combined.