Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 09:16:25 -0500
Kudos on all your work!!!
Did you mean that if they accept free formula, they are MORE likely to follow
the "ten steps to supporting breastfeeding"? It doesn't make sense

I wrote an essay on "The Ethics of Distributing Commercial Gift Bags to New
Mothers" for an essay contest of the AAP Section on Bioethics for "young
pediatricians" (first five yrs in practice-I will be six in Sept)---I used the
happenings in Mass. as a discussion point. It won second place!!! It will be
published in the AAP Bioethics newsletter and an updated edited version in the
AAP section on breastfeeding newsletter.

Writing doesn't come easy to me, but I really wanted the bioethics
committee to
know about this issue

I've been meaning to write a letter to our new governor in NJ, to get
him to put
breastfeeding support on his agenda- if you have any tips or an outline
of how I
should format my letter I would appreciate it- I love your banner- I hope more
states will follow suit

Quoting [log in to unmask]:

> A study in Massachusetts showed that acceptance of free formula
> was  significantly associated (p=0.03) with overall Ten Steps implementation.
> Conclusion: Rates of self-reported implementation of the Ten Steps are
> relatively high in Massachusetts. Step 1 implementation is
> significantly  associated
> with formula availability, and overall implementation [of the 10  steps is
> associated] with acceptance of free formula. Grizzard T, Bartick  M,
> Nikolov M,
> et al. Policies and practices related to breastfeeding in  Massachusetts:
> Hospital implementation of the 10 Steps. Maternal Child Health  Journal 2006.

Amy M. Kotler, MD FAAP
Chair Breastfeeding and Nutrition Committee AAP/NJ
Dover Pediatrics
LLLI Breastfeeding Resource Center
Doctors Park 369 W. Blackwell St
Dover NJ 07801