From:
Jackie Kampp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:02:48 -0800
Good before bad:

The Today Show:  I saw the second segment on breastfeeding later in the show, missed the first one.  Katie was interviewing Dr. Arnot (sp?) and they discussed the study.  I liked her comment at the beginning..."Breastfeeding is the best, DUH?"  Basically she was saying, doesn't everyone already know this?  Then they went into the meat of the study, but Dr. Arnot commented that the results don't really apply to the USA because women don't breastfeed for as long (1yr) and the women in the country where the study was done are in the hospital for up to a week (therefore getting a good start).  This brought up the lack of support women receive in the USA and the crucial period of 2-4 days postpartum.  Overall, I'd give it a B-.   How do we get them to do an even bigger story on breastfeeding and the support needed?

Next thing-About a week ago I was watching Sesame Street with my kids (who are being brought up to think bottles are taboo) and the theme that day was "BABIES".  NOT ONE breastfeeding baby was show BUT several bottles were show.  I've gone to CTW's website but cannot find a way to comment.  Any suggestions?  I definitely expect more out of SS!!!!

Jackie Kampp, RN, PHN, CLC