From:
Peg Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:49:10 -0500
Just curious as to what other hospitals are doing in reguard to
supplementing breastfed babies.  A lot of our babies are sleepy and won't
latch because of  high epidural rate, etc.etc.    Our hospital policy
requries supplementation  if baby isn't nursing well, and breastfed babies
have been getting low-iron formula.  The neonatoligist  says that Ruth
Lawrences idea (p.322) of iron destroying lactoferrion in the gut is purely
theroretical and based on outdated literature and that all babies should get
iron fortified formula if supplemtation is necessary.  She says that the new
AAP guidlelines on infant nutrition  reccomend iron fortified formula.
Unfortu;nately about 80% of our babies get supplemented.  We are trying to
revise our hospital polices to reduce the need for supplementation and would
like to know what other hospitals are doing.  If you have any policies on
this you could send it would be greatly appreciated.  Also, if anyone knows
of any current literature on iron  and the destruction of lactoferron.
PEG MERRILL, IBCLC