Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 18:51:41 EDT
Nancy,
I don't know you personally, but from reading your posts I would gather that
you do try your hardest to practice in a breastfeeding friendly manner within
the medical constraints of the needs of prematurity.

I agree with what you say about how US hospitals are set up. We have one free
room on our unit with 2 beds and chairs available for the moms of our NICU
babies. Sometimes we have 12 babies in NICU and a logistical nightmare when
all babies are being breastfed and ideally we would want the moms available
for feeds.

We do ourbest to support, teach and get babies to kangaroo and bf well prior
to D/C.
They don't all go home with BF well established. I wish we had a
breastfeeding clinic where they could return as outpatients without having to
incur lots of cost . (LCs in my neck of the woods in private practice are not
affordable for many)
It's a far from perfect system. But you are supporting the breastfeeding
process far better than most and I applaud you for that. The Neo at our hosp
does his best as well. I just wish other reg. peds would catch up to speed in
NORMAL situations.
Jane Ciaramella NY