From:
Barbara Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2016 08:14:03 -0500
Dear Susan,
I agree that so many mothers have been told, "The latch looks great!",
that they think they cannot improve the comfort of breastfeeding.  They
have been struggling with pain for weeks or months.
To me, a great latch has two elements, both mother and baby are
comfortable and the baby is transferring milk effectively. Bottom line.
I don't care what it looks like, if the mother is in pain, something is
wrong. On the other hand, if the baby is feeding on its back happily,
getting breastmilk and mother is not in pain, walk away! Don't fix what
is not broken! I sometimes can't keep my mouth shut at my support groups
and when I suggest to turn the baby tummy to tummy, the mother always
does because she is polite (this shows our power, the mother knows it
won't work but she does it anyway), and then the baby starts crying and
she turns the baby outward again. Oops!
Pain while breastfeeding is common but not normal.
Thanks!

--

Barbara Robertson, MA, IBCLC, RLC
The Breastfeeding Center of Ann Arbor