From:
Lucy Simnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 06:37:20 -0000
Dear Heather,

This is my first post to LACTNET, having subscribed only a few days ago. I
am an RN and RM and currently studying for the IBLCE in July.
I have had many years of experience in the neonatal unit and have come
across this problem frequently.

I have usually advised the mother to do some hand expressing before she goes
on the pump, having massaged the breasts and stimulated the nipples first.
She only needs to do this a few minutes on each side. It has often made
quite a difference to the supply as it has a more stimulating effect on the
breast and prolactin level than the pump.

Hope it helps.

Lucy Simnett
Bracknell, Berkshire, UK