From:
Jon Ahrendsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 1996 10:34:40 -0500
I just found this website on the Microsoft Pregnancy and Child Care Preview web site.  I suggest LACTNETTERS check out this site and offer opinions to the LACTNET forum and to Microsoft.  I found the BF information to be decidedly very pro BF and straightforward.  Here are some examples:

The benefits of breastfeeding for you and your baby are so far-reaching that the choice between formula and breast milk is not a choice between equals.

Confusing Information, Conflicting Messages
Not all healthcare professionals are experts on breastfeeding. Conflicting information is common, and may be confusing. For example, women who have difficulty breastfeeding at first, or who develop a breast infection may be mistakenly advised to stop and give formula instead.

Most breastfeeding problems can be solved with the help of a supportive healthcare provider or a lactation consultant (a specially trained breastfeeding counselor.)

Find a healthcare provider who is supportive of and knowledgeable about breastfeeding. Ask your provider for the names of licensed lactation consultants in your area, in case you need extra help to begin breastfeeding.

Here is the web site address:

http://www.msn.com/MSHealth/Library/Infancy/Feeding_Concerns/Why_Breastfeed__Article.HTM

Jon Ahrendsen MD FAAFP
Clarion, IA USA

PS Sorry if this has been discussed previously on LACTNET, but I just found this and thought it was an good web resource.