From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 1995 08:52:37 -0400
Dear Rosemarie:  Although I was never in the position of having to take
night call when my children were 5 months old, I know of many mothers who
have done so successfully.  The best way is to build a supply of frozen
breastmilk for use while she takes call.  During call, although it can
get hairy at times, there is usually some time during which she could
express.  Many on call rooms have refrigerators, so she could even store
her milk there (how about the pantry on one of the patient floors?
Should be no problem, if she labels it well.)  Even if she can't store
her milk, she can express for comfort and prevention of plugged ducts and
mastitis.  Her schedule seems to allow a fair amount of flexibility.
Some residents have breastfed with every second or third night on call.
Even if she doesn't have the motivation for expressing her milk, it seems
possible for her to continue nursing when at home, and supplementing
while away.  Good luck in counselling her.  Physicians who have
successfully combined breastfeeding and work can act as excellent role
models for their patients.  I hope Deena Zimmerman doesn't mind my
paraphrasing what she tells pregnant women concerned about having to wean
because of work:  something to the effect that "if I could do it with my
residency schedule, so can you".  Alicia.  [log in to unmask]