From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 07:23:07 EST

In a message dated 11/8/2006 10:35:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I'd  like  some ideas
from others' experience with this particular one  too,  please.
What about a mom with huge nipples, baby with small  mouth, and  suckling
strongly, but can't latch deeply enough, so  painful nipples, and  inadequate
milk transfer?  How can  we   help?>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
--------------------------------------

-  if you've tried everything else for good latch without success,
consider nipple shield.

Dear Friends:
    Will someone please explain to me how a nipple  shield can help in such a
situation? A nipple shield large enough for a large  nipple will perforce
still be too large for the baby's mouth, won't it?
    What about expressing and bottle-feeding until the  baby grows big enough?
    warmly,

Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CCE
Lactation Consultant,  Philadephia Department of Public Health
Maternal-Child Adjunct Faculty, Union  Institute and University
Film Reviews Editor, Journal of Human  Lactation
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com