Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 14:56:02 -0500
Hold on now.  The amount of gentian violet a baby gets is extremely
extremely small.  I think doing an alcohol level on the baby getting gentian
violet is completely unnecessary and will just cause pain for the baby, and
anxiety for the parents, cost money for the system.  We are not talking
alcohol poisoning here.  Let's get serious.  When the mother buys gentian
violet on my recommendation, she usually gets about 10 cc or, if it comes
ready made, 30 cc.  At the end of a seven day treatment, unless she dropped
some of it, you can hardly tell in the bottle that there is any gone.  We
are talking a drop or two per treatment once a day.  30 drops to a
millilitre or 0.033 ml/treatment, or 0.0033 ml of alcohol per day.  What's
the big deal?

I also don't prescribe beer or wine to infants.  What's that got to do with
it?

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC