Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 19:08:12 -0700
Hi there,

I have a mother who is asking about her situation...she has just found out
she is pregnant (unplanned) and her son is just 8 months old.  She is proud
to be exclusively BFing him and is scared she will have to use formula.  I
told her everything that I could think of:  that milk production during
pregnancy seems to vary some from one mother to another, that there are
things she can take to try and help keep her supply up a bit longer (more
milk plus tea, oatmeal...), to get a well-balanced and healthy diet.  But I
don't think anyone can *guarantee* her milk alone will suffice, even with
some more solids, while she is pregnant.  Would you wise ones think that is
true?  I've heard mothers who said they had *no* decrease in milk production
throughout 9 months, mothers who see a decrease before getting a positive
pregnancy test, and anywhere in between.  I myself had a significant
decrease around 4 months of pregnancy with my 2nd child.  I produced some
"liquid" (it was transparent) until the birth of Nyssa, and it only turned
creamy yellow (colostrum) again after I extracted several drops in the half
hour *after* Nyssa was born in the end.

Anyhow, are there any tricks up your collective sleeves that I might be
missing?  I did tell the mother that if she wants to keep nursing, there is
*nothing* saying she can't do that with a supplementer if she needs to
supplement.  Get rid of supplementer once the baby is born.  ;-)  In the
meantime he could get formula, or if she manages to keep a supply up until
he's a year or so, cow milk perhaps, via the supplementer and still nurse...

Hopefully I'm not missing anything...thanks in advance if you have any other
suggestions!

Fio

--
Maman to Sandrine, 8, Nyssa 5, and laat lametjie due 8/08.
«The best love affairs are those we never had.» -- Norman Lindsay

http://babystrology.com/tickers/baby-ticker-glass.swf?parent=Fio&year=2008&month=8&day=20&babycount=1
http://www.rabais-coupons.com pour des coupons virtuels