From:
Margaret Radcliffe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 1995 11:27:16 -0400
Normally, I wouldn't post this, but I felt that it would be good to counter
all the complaints that have come up lately about people who refuse to even
consider BF, about the bottles filled with juice and even worse substances,
about the authorities who refuse to allow distribution of factual
information promoting BF...

Yesterday I was at the swimming pool with my 29 month old and my 5 yr. old.
When the younger one got tired, she wanted to BF.  We don't BF much in
public anymore, since she's pretty much reduced feedings to morning and
evening, but this day was an exception.  After she got latched on, I looked
around the pool (to make sure that the 5 year old hadn't drowned), and
discoverd five different adults looking at us and grinning from ear to ear.
Three were women who had BF, one was the father of BF kids, and I don't know
about the college-aged male lifeguard...They included a middle school
teacher, a psychiatric counselor, and a plumber.

As you encounter so many people who are against BF, remember how many out
there support it, and the more we BF in public, the more normal it will seem.

Another note: some of those bottles may have been filled with breast milk.
I was astounded to discover that women who don't work pump their milk and
bottle feed in public, because they are feel public breastfeeding is
inappropirate.

Margaret K.K. Radcliffe               [log in to unmask]
Dept. of Mining & Minerals Engr.
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA