From:
Kathleen Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 22:07:55 -0500
This is an important note concerning the LACTNET List.

We have received notification, two nights ago, that the Univ of Mass Medical
School will no longer be able to host LACTNET.  They are revamping their
server at Ummed, and are not accepting any lists without a local contact.
This has been coming for some time, and we all have noticed the server's
groaning under the weight of our archives, etc.  We are very grateful to the
Univ. of Massachusetts for giving us our start, and for Norm's, Marianne's
and Sean's help in maintaining our lists.

While we are sad to move, in some ways, we also have some new opportunities.
I personally have been worrying, losing sleep, and up nights writing emails
and trying to find a way to keep our lists on a stable server somewhere,
..in a place where we can count on list space, maintainance help, and where
we are not in danger of being booted again. It is an incredible amount of
work just to maintain this list in the first place, and to contemplate
moving adds to our work and stress levels.

After making inquiries, and writing letters, I have had an absolutely
wonderful offer of help.  LSoft, the maker of Listserv software ( *let's
here some applause!*) have a service where one can have a list hosted on
their own server. This is usually a fee-for-service arrangement.  LSoft has
very graciously offered to host our lists, *LACTNET AND TLC*, and will be
transitioning over to their server in the coming days.

I am told that there will be no seams to this change.  I will get back to
you with new information on how to post ( the address will change, etc), and
we will have some forwarding that will happen to protect posts etc. We will
not miss a beat, I am told. And, I believe them, because they wrote the
software. : )

The nicest part of all is that the list will be housed at this wonderful
place, ...with full webinterface for list management. Archives will be on
the web as usual, and they will be available. I can customize these as well,
making things work even better than they ever have.

We will be working like crazy to get this done in the coming days. I am
totally up to my eyeballs, in work, LC calls, lecture preparation, and now
this. It never rains but it pours...but I am so appreciative and grateful to
have a good home for our lists, and one that is stable and that functions
well. I am sure you all will notice a change and will appreciate  how well
it will run when we move.

LSoft recognizes the value of our lists, as I have filled them in, and
shared a few posts with them.  Because they will be supporting us, and will
be "donating" services that would normally cost  perhaps several  thousand
dollars a year, we will have a banner at the bottom of our digests, and an
icon that says LSoft.  There might be a few other things that we will need
to do, ..but I feel that this is a good trade off.  LSoft is proud of their
software, and I believe that LACTNET and TLC are good examples of how their
products help people on a world-wide basis.  It will be a wonderful partnership.

Thank you for your patience as we make this transition.  If I do not answer
email, please forgive me, but as I said, I am overwhelmed, and sleep deprived.

Kind regards,

Kathleen

Kathleen B. Bruce, BSN, IBCLC co-owner Lactnet,TLC, Indep. Consultant
Williston, Vermont
mailto:[log in to unmask]
LACTNET Archives http://library.ummed.edu/lsv/archives/lactnet.html