From:
Alicia Dermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 1999 23:34:56 -0400
Hi, all:  I've been actively trying to find recipients for the milk of a
mother who desperately is trying to donate it (you may have seen a couple
of posts in the last few days about her).  I found an excellent
candidate, but she didn't exactly jump at the suggestion of taking this
donor milk.  She said she'd discuss it with her husband and get back to me
(it's just such a sad commentary about our society in the US that she
never would think to discuss with her husband whether or not to give
formula -- which in this case is the cause of her baby's severe eczema --
but the decision about accepting another mother's milk, even after
excellent reassurances about the donor's lack of risk factors and
negative HIV, hepatitis status, etc).

Now for my question to Lactnet.  The potential recipient is from Nigeria.
I remember discussions on Lactnet about certain cultures in which two
unrelated children who nurse from the same woman become "milk brothers" or
something like that.  Does anybody know of any cultural taboos in Nigeria
against the use of another mother's milk?  I just wanted to consider all
factors which might affect this mother's decision.  What about other
cultures?  I think if there are any specific beliefs in a variety of
cultures about the use of donor milk, it would be important to know them
as we start to offer this as an option more frequently.  If anyone knows
of any good resources, journal references or books on this subject, or has
any experiences to share along this line, I would love to learn more about
it.  TIA, Alicia Dermer, MD, IBCLC.