From:
Jamie Huddleston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:06:54 -0500
Barbara,

You have painted a horrible picture of WIC in your message.  I am sorry that
your daughter had such a bad experience, but please be assured not all WIC
clinics are like that.

Our office is very supportive of breastfeeding, we have numerous electric
pumps available (50+), 4 CLC's and 1 IBCLC on staff.  We encourage every
mother to breastfeed, even those who breastfeed past a year, and even use
wording like "Good for you!!" when they report breastfeeding a toddler.  We
also give our staff paid time to pump and a nice room to pump in.  We support
every level of breastfeeding.

Maybe this staff member was young and uneducated?  I have worked for WIC
for 10 years, and can honestly say I have grown immensely in those years.
When I first started working for WIC, I was horribly uncomfortable when a
mother breastfed in front of me, and had no good breastfeeding education.
Thus, no confidence to properly support a mother who was breastfeeding.
WIC has a high rate of staff turnover, and is often used as a "stepping stone"
to bigger and better professional jobs.

I am not making excuses for this WIC staff person, simply saying that each
and every WIC clinic is different and that I hope all on the list don't think
poorly of WIC for one person's bad experience.  Afterall, it's through the
support of WIC and my great Director that I was able to attend CLC training
and eventually pass the IBCLC exam.

Jamie Huddleston, IBCLC
Sanford, Maine WIC Office