From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 15:58:45 -0400
Dear all:

I had my little break today in tax time bookkeeping.  A client reported that the ped had suggested a tough love approach to making her seven month old take a certain amount of milk from a bottle.   I just couldn't resist responding that her baby wasn't an addict.  She responded that she tried the "tough love" approach for "a whopping 1 minute" and would never try it again.  She was also pressured to sleep train and didn't trust the idea that her baby didn't need to eat at night.  So, she kept her "dream feed" which for her meant snuggling with her baby at night and keeping her middle of the night feed.  Turns out on the WHO curves this baby's weight makes a picture perfect curve (like no baby I've ever seen before because they usually wobble) along a centile.  So glad she didn't disrupt this important snuggle time for her and feeding time for her baby.

Not telling anyone which centile because it doesn't matter.  I'm finding that my "design my own" charts taken directly from the WHO data work best.  I cap the highs and lows of the baby's weights so mom isn't focusing on all those lines on the usual WHO curves -- just the lines for THEIR baby.  I think I'm going to switch to z-scores because you can track a baby below the 1st centile with z-scores and show the mom progress with babies that were born very small rather than looking at that big void between their baby and the centile curves on the CDC adapted version of the WHO charts.

She is so relieved to see her baby grows fine.  I'm pretty sure the Ped was using the old charts.

Best Susan Burger