From:
Chrissa Tarum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 11:05:07 -0600
Hello, I am a nursing student at the University of North Dakota, and I am interested in the effects of breastfeeding in women who have had a breast augmentation.  I have looked at the LACTNET archives on this topic, but I would appreciate any new information.  Breast augmentation seems to be a growing trend, especially in women of childbearing age, and I would like to be well-informed should I be asked about this topic.

I have done some research, and I found that implants do have a significant effect on lactation.  Hurst (1996) conducted a study with 42 augmented women and 42 nonaugmented women.  She found that that 64% of the augmented women had insufficient lactation as compared with <7% of nonaugmented women.  Insufficient lactation was defined as little or no lactogenesis and/or infant growth rate of <20g/day with exclusive breastfeeding.  Sufficient lactation was defined as normal onset of lactogenesis within 7 days of birth and infant growth rate of 20-30g/day with exclusive breastfeeding.  She also found that the type of incision was related to the lactation outcome (Hurst, 1996).  The periareolar incision has the most adverse effects on lactation.  Hurst mentions that this type of incision may affect afferent neurons and nipple sensation.  She also mentions the pressure of the implant itself on the breast tissue (Hurst, 2003).

A previous study by Neifert, DeMarzo, Seacat, Young, Leff, and Orleans (1990) had similar findings.  The study sample included 319 primiparous women with healthy AGA or LGA newborns.  They found that breast surgery (of any kind, not just augmentation) was related to lactation outcome.  Women who had had breast surgery had more than a threefold risk of lactation insufficiency compared to women without surgery.  They also found that women with periareolar incisions were more at risk (5 times more likely than those with no surgery).

        I found this data to be very interesting.  I would appreciate any more information you could share with me on this topic.  Experiences you have had with augmented women are welcome.  Thanks

Chrissa Tarum, SN
University of North Dakota

Sources
Hurst, N.M. (2003, February). Breastfeeding after breast augmentation. Journal of Human Lactation,19, 70-71.
Hurst, N.M. (1996, January). Lactation after augmentation mammoplasty. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 87, 30-34.
Neifert, M., DeMarzo, S., Seacat, J., Young, D., Leff, M., & Orleans, M. (1990, March). The influence of breast surgery, breast appearance, and pregnancy-induced breast changes on lactation sufficiency as measured by infant weight gain. Birth, 17, 31-38.