From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:20:19 -0700
 Dalia: The jury is not in on the waterbed issue.  We visited this thread 6
months ago or more with lots of controversy.  I have had two sons sleep
with us from birth on a waterbed and worked in countries where the NICUs
use miniwaterbeds and maternity waterbeds.  The less wave capability, the
safer they appear, but I've not seen conclusive studies about that.  Our
strategy has been to put babies on their backs on a short-shorn sheep skin
(not the long ones which increase risk) and have towels rolled up (and
taped) underneath to prevent either of us from rolling into baby.  Honestly
though, I am an extremely light sleeper and have never in 5 years of
co-sleeping ever come close to rolling on to one of my kids.  Good luck
deciding and have a great birth.

: )Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC  email: [log in to unmask]   : )
: )HSR & Health Educational Consultant        voice/fax: 541 753 7340    : )
: )LLLLLLLLLLLLL**CHANGE THE WORLD, NURTURE A CHILD!**LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL : )