Date:
Thu, 26 May 2005 10:32:15 +0100

>>BUT...there are many convincing reason's why, in the vast majority
>>of crying babies, the fussing has little or nothing to do with
>>tummy pain:

<snip>

I very much liked this evidence-based look at 'colic'  and what we in
the UK call 'wind' ('gas' in US English).

Many, many mothers tell me their baby has 'wind' , even at 2 or 3
days old. They feel that any unscheduled fussing and crying must be
due to wind.  Their lives are made easier, often, by simply feeding
the baby when he has wind....but they are sometimes scared to try in
case this makes the 'problem' worse.

One thing they sometimes say is 'you can hear the wind in his tummy,
making noises'.

I remind them that if you put your ear to anyone's abdomen, you can
usually hear pretty loud gurgles and swishes and swooshes - and
that's through a lot more fat than a baby usually has separating his
intestines from your ears!

I will save Harvey Karp's excellent post and use aspects of it in
training of HCPs (often crazily keen themselves on attributing every
squeak and twitch of a baby to 'wind').

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc,  tutor, UK