From:
Chris Mulford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2004 23:27:22 -0500
Heather Reddout had a conversation with a Muslim restauranteur who said
babies should nurse two years but not longer. I heard the same thing
from a Muslim woman I met at a breastfeeding session that was held at
the NGO Forum of the Beijing World Conference on Women in 1995. She was
adamant that breastfeeding had to stop the moment the child turned two.
It seemed to me at the time that her understanding of the rule was as a
moral precept, not based on anything to do with child development,
health, or nutrition. Well...I guess expecting that level of respect for
the child's needs would be asking a lot from a male prophet from the 6th
century, and I'm thrilled that Muhammed at least did say to nurse for
two years.

Chris Mulford, RN, IBCLC
LLL Leader Reserve
working for WIC in South Jersey (Eastern USA)
Co-coordinator, Women & Work Task Force, WABA