From:
Patrica Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 07:11:39 -0400
Mira, you can also do a homemade SNS per Jack Newman's article in JHL. (JHL
6(2), 1990, p.59-63 - pix on pg 61) He used a 36" 5 Fr.  feeding tube.  One
end of tube goes into bottle of milk (expressed or formula) through a small
hole in nipple of bottle.  I made a small slit and used needle nosed pliers
to pull it through.  then other end of tube is taped to mom's breast, just
like an SNS.  Bottle needs to be level with baby's head for moderate
effort, below baby's head requires more effort and above baby's head makes
it flow easier.  In the beginning when you need to feed the baby, I put it
higher and make it easy. As mom's milk supply and baby's suck improve you
can gradually lower it.  I had one mom who suspended bottle from a light
standard  and over many days (17) gradually lowered it.  In our area the
tube costs about $1.00 US  and mom needs a large (like 30 cc) syringe to
flush tube before and after feeds.  Sincerely, Pat in SNJ