From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 2008 06:34:13 -0400
Karleen writes, of the Texas-based religious compound from which hundreds of children and mothers have been removed, "Sounds like the type of support they need is more in the advocacy side of things...does anyone in the US do that sort of thing?" The simple answer is yes ... but it is not that simple. In an optimal situation, children/babies who are involved in any sort of court proceeding will have a "child advocate" or "guardian ad litem" appointed to protect their interests in the court or administrative hearing.  Sometime the CA/GAL is an attorney, sometimes it is a social worker.  They accompany the children to proceedings; serve as a "buffer" in a strange place; are prepared to address the court/administrator with suggestions or opinions about what needs to happen to protect the children.  ("Your Honor, there are no allegations of abuse involving my four-month old client and her mother.  My client is still breastfeeding, a round-the-clock activity which is critical at this age to protect her health and to provide for appropriate development.  My client should not be separated from her mother.") But, the availability of such help varies wildly from locale to locale.  These matters (in family courts) are fiercely "local" in their jurisdiction and application.  There may be no funding for child advocates.  If they are appointed in the "extreme" cases, they usually aren't pulled in until days or even weeks after the triggering event.  The pool of volunteers who do this (and I am one, in my local court system) may be untrained, or just plain bad.  Now -- take the Texas situation.  Multiply these issues by several hundredfold.  It is a logistical and legal nightmare down there.  The state absolutely cannot ignore the allegations of abuse, but appropriately investigating *one* such case, in the timely fashion that it deserves, takes dozens of hours.  I've never heard of a social welfare dept. yet, in any state, county or municipality, that can brag that its staff has time on their hands.Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLCWyndmoor, PA, USA