From:
Cheryl Dawn Marian <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:53:29 -0500
Dear Chris,

I was wondering if you could share your short article citing references
about progesterones and milk supply loss with me, also.

I would like to have something for my clients. And the two ob/gyn's who
are causing so much trouble with them.  They seem to like to try out every
new birth control product that comes out.  Nor QD was 2002-2003 here. And
one mom still just this past Tuesday, from another doctor in another
city.  This year (one in December, 2 in January)I have helped 3 mothers
who were given Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo!

The mothers tell me the same thing, that the ob said that he has heard
that the pill might affect some mothers milk but that he has never
personally seen it happen and that their milk supply will be fine.  2 moms
wanted help the 3rd was returning her pump and mentioned her milk drying
up, so upon further discussion, I found that she was on the Ortho, she
didn't say LO so I wonder if he gave her full strength.  These moms never
thought it would be the pill because of what the doctor told them.  They
just wanted to know what had happened to their milk.

So frustrating.  Rather than go into the whole of each case (which I am
sure you have seen many times) the big point I try to get across to them
is how important it is to TELL that doctor that the pill DID cause a drop
in supply. Ordinarily the mom sees them between 4-8 weeks, gets the pill
prescription and doesn't see them again for a whole year. (If she even
goes back at that time.)  So, of course, he never gets to hear that
she 'dried up'.  A year later she is not thinking of it and she really
didn't put 2 and 2 together anyway, when she started losing her milk, baby
just became fussier or was losing weight, not satisfied, etc. started
supplementing and 'voila!' the weaning.  Of course, he doesn't ask if she
is still BF.  And she'll be the next one with a relative or friend in my
BF class who will say that they knew so and so who didn't have enough milk
for her baby!

If enough moms actually give their doctors the feed back then maybe
they'll believe that their might be a problem with prescribing and to at
least let mom be aware of the potential for milk loss and to stop the pill
and call for alternative birth control options, if need be.

I just wonder how many mothers this happens to and they never call for
help. I'm sure I probably only hear from about one percent.

Well off of my soapbox.

Thank you,

Cheryl Marian