From:
vicki hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2009 20:16:21 +0100
Question: is anyone aware of studies showing that *not* breastfeeding *increases the risk* of poor eyesight later in childhood and beyond (although *we all* know such studies would most likely say "breastfeeding *improves* vision" because people "forget" that breastfeeding is *normal* and that visual problems like myopia, astigmatism, etc, are *not* "normal"(optimal)! grrrr)

Good news: I'm reading a friend's blog about her family's experience adopting an infant from Ethopia earlier this year. Of course similac was *kind* to donate 60 cans of formula, but my friend did follow the protocol for relactation for her new son. She says that, although she hopes he progresses to nutritive sucking, he latched on once and used her as a pacifier as he fell asleep, and that "for now being my son's pacifier is a dream! It's truly amazing!" She encourages others to think about adoptive nursing and induced lactation!  Yeaaaaa!  http://thenextweiseth.blogspot.com/2009/07/journey-to-lactation.html.

Now the "good news" with a question: on thanksgiving I was watching the Macy's thanksgiving day parade on AFN (armed forces network) here in Europe, and during a commercial break was broadcast the "breastmilk, every ounce counts" campaign from the texas department of state health services http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/wichd/bf/MP3/Power%20Moms%20English%20.30.wmv
I was excited to see a breastfeeding public service announcement! My question is, did anyone else in the United states, outside of texas, see it? I think our AFN affiliate is in Munich Germany but the parade took place in New York, so what determines which American state's PSAs are seen? I hope everyone in the U.S. *and* in other countries watching it on AFN saw it!

Warmly,
Vicki hayes RN IBCLC mom of 3 boys!,
Chipiona, (Cádiz, Andalucía), españa