From:
Doraine Bailey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 1998 12:50:23 PST
Friends:

I'm posting on behalf of one of my home visiting nurses.

Mom delivered 1-lb baby at 25 weeks gestation.

Mom has polycystic ovaries (Stein-Leventhal Syndrome), is obese (+300
lbs), smokes 1/2 pack of cigarettes a day, never felt engorged post
delivery.  This is the first pregnancy of three that has not miscarried
-- mom had difficulty getting pregnant.

Mom pumped for 3 weeks with hospital-grade pump.  Then she claims her
milk suddenly dried up.  I do not know how much milk she was getting per
session, but apparently pumped every 2-3 hr in day, none during night.

OB has prescribed Reglan; however, because mother has history of mental
illness, will be watching her carefully.

Mom is motivated to continue breastfeeding.

Okay wise ones, here's the question...
- Do polycystic ovaries (in and of themselves) interfere with
breastfeeding?

- Is there anything that could be done now to improve her situation with
hormone use?

Baby is improving, would like to keep her on M-O-M, but mother needs
assistance.  There are so many factors against her (from the history I
received, as presented above) -- where to begin?!

TIA for your brains!  Please email privately as well as to list (I
FINALLY finished my 64+ digests and I am otherwise overwhelmed this
week).

--Doraine Bailey
Lexington-Fayette County Health Dept.
Lexington, KY, USA

Where, by the way, the thoroughbred horse meet is over --  and I'm still
waiting for Linda Smith to come in her bonnet and white gloves so I can
take her to watch the races!  Maybe in April!?