From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 17:00:47 -0700
(Warning:  This post may contain small amounts of
humor, traces of sarcasm, and much unbridled passion.
Also, great fondness and appreciation for Nikki,
Jo-Anne, Kathleen, & all of us addressing these issues
together.)

<<As Eleanor  Roosevelt said, and I paraphrase, one
cannot be stepped on if one does not lie down first.>>

<<However, what if one is knocked down from an early
age (what happens to young girls was beautifully
documented in Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher), and
kept down after that?>>

So, Nikki, whatever are you saying???  Females in a
female-dominated profession serving females regarding
an intrinsically female biological function may have
to battle for recognition in a world delineated by
men?  Am I close?!

A terrific book out this year on the subject of
recognition for women is *Necessary Dreams: Ambition
in Women's Changing Lives,* Anna Fels.  Data galore!
Mentoring anecdotes!  Statistics to make you weep and
rage by turns!  Striking lack of reference to
breastfeeding as a component in women's reproductive
and productive lives!
[I have no financial interest in this book.
Unfortunately!]

While the book's discussion is outside lactation
(truly and sadly...), it is absolutely about the human
need for recognition in addition to mastery of a skill
in a given profession. Those questioning the need to
title and define our work in lactation will find food
for thought; those forging a path toward recognition
in our work will find language and analogies.

Recognition need not follow previous models, though
history always informs.  The numerous pathways that
lead us all here enrich and enlarge our profession,
both in terms of practice and in terms of research.

I am glad for the discussion, here and wherever we
are.  It is so important to advocate for recognition,
for our profession and for each other.  Years from
now, when words have quieted and milk runs freely, I
hope the lactation profession will have forged new
ground in setting standards, weaving related
disciplines, and recognizing practitioners.

Susan Johnson MFA, IBCLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA