From:
Melissa V Kirsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Mar 1998 07:18:21 EST
For anecodotal information only since I'm not a medical professional. My
96-yr-old grandmother almost died from this infection before Christmas.
(I'll spare you the insurance/rehab. center/ etc. horrors--let's just say
I has to threaten to sue a major HMO to get her the proper care. We found
an absolutely wonderful infectious disease doctor who finally cured her.)
Anyway...something that helped immensely was Questran, although it does
not cure the infection.  I checked Questran in Hale's and it is
compatible with BF.  My grandmother was also given a list of dietary
modifications--I remember no dairy, alcohol caffeine or sweets except one
cookie on Christmas day.

Of course, you'll find in the archives that flagyl is okay for BF mothers
(check under Metronidazole in addition to Flagyl).  C-Diff apparently can
be a very tenacious infection. It took three rounds of drugs (vancomycin
and flagyl) before my grandmother got better.

Melissa Kirsch

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]