From:
Michelle Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2014 16:09:52 -0400
I promised a mom I would put this out to you all.  She had a baby 7-28-14
who was born with a cleft soft palate.  Big enough to see, so not one of
those tiny ones we sometimes take a lot of time to dx.
It's her 3rd baby, and she had an overabundant supply with the first 2,
whom she bf for over a year.  She started off with lots of milk, but was
advised to use a nipple shield due to his inability to maintain a latch.
She pumped a little daily in the first few weeks, then after his weight
gain was over BW at 2 wk, she cut back.  Lots of other things to do with 2
other children.
   At 2 mo baby M. was underweight at his checkup.   She could tell that
her supply was down, because he was sleeping 5 hr at night and she was not
at all engorged in the morning.
    Now 2 weeks after contacting me , we have done enough things to
increase her milk, but she wants to go back to the overabundant supply.
Right now she is not having to supplement him, but has no extra milk.
   I also rec skin-to-skin and a 'nursing vacation' for that first weekend
after we spoke.  I usually rec the pumping intensity for 48 hr, then a more
reasonable schedule of 6-8X/d
   She is no longer putting baby to breast, and he is gaining well on her
milk out of a Haberman bottle, so no longer using a shield.
    I also rec that she pump 10 min or til milk slows down to a slow rate,
then pause the pump, and massage the breasts, then continue pumping.  (this
has incr her per pumping sessions)
Here's what she did based on info from 3 different LCs:
Pump q 3 hr--day and night (even tho I suggested allowing a 5 hr time at
night), and increasing daytime pumping by 1 more time to make up for that.
Fenugreek (3 caps 3X/d), Standard Mammory PMG
Homeopathic pulsitilla
More Milk Plus by Motherlove
Brewer's yeast + flax seeds
Oatmeal q morning.
    Mom's wants to know if she will be able to keep up with this baby, and
have some extra milk to freeze for emergencies.

--
Michelle Scott, MA, RD/LD, IBCLC
Pediatric Dietitian/Lactation Consultant

  Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and
contact the sender by email, and destroy all copies of the original message.