From:
Susan Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2013 07:38:49 -0400
Hi Jean:

So sorry to hear that you granddaughter and great grandson are experiencing such a challenge so early in his life.

To the best of my ability, here are the calculations (and since Karleen has spotted my mistakes in the past she might want to check this).

1 teaspoon = 15 ml

So, therefore if you add 1 teaspoon of powder (15 ml) to 50 ml of breastmilk it will yield 65 ml.

The ratio of powder to total volume is 15 ml/65 ml = 0.23
The ratio of breastmilk to total volume is 50 ml/65 ml = 0.77

So, since you need to add 5 ml to the 65 ml to make 70 ml

The additional powder should be 5ml x 0.23 = 1.15
The additional breastmilk should be 5 ml x 0.77 = 3.85

So the total with rounding would be:

16 ml of powder
54 ml of breastmilk
= 70 ml of the mixture

Of course settling when you mix the two together might change the volume a bit.  So you may have to adjust the amounts a tiny bit - but now you have the formula for how to figure it out.  I had a great chemistry teacher who taught me how to figure out formulas without memorizing them and it was the most useful trick any teacher ever gave me.

Should have given this problem to my son (since he's starting at the Bronx High School of Science he's had to wade through zillions of these math logic problems in order to get in) but he sleeps in until 1 pm every day now that he's on summer vacation.

Best, Susan Burger