From:
Ruth Berkowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 May 2010 18:00:43 +1000
Hi all,

 From my small bit of knowledge of the development of the
vaccine.  Babies who were breastfeeding at the time of the first
human/infant trials were not allowed to take part because incidence
of illness was so low in breastfed babies.  With the second and
subsequent trials, I believe they allowed babies who had been
breastfed, but were not currently breastfeeding to take part.

Why?  Again because it was acknowledged that breastfed babies had a
greater immunity to Rotavirus.

At the time of the trials, a large number of years ago, I had a
number of mothers who wanted their babies to take part, but they were
unable to participate, and these were the reasons given.

I am sorry, but I do not have references for this, just the antidotal
statements which have stuck in my mind for a number of years.  It is
probably in some of the original research data.

Regards,
Ruth Berkowitz, IBCLC
in private practice

   ,-._|\    Ruth Berkowitz, IBCLC; BFHI Assessor & Educator; Grad.
Dip.
  /  Oz  \       Counselling; ABA breastfeeding counsellor; B.Sci.(Ed, USA);
  \_,--.x/   M.L.S.(Monash). KEW EAST VICTORIA AUSTRALIA
               ~