From:
Chris Hafner-Eaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2000 10:52:59 -0800
Boy, can I relate to the idea that  what we've taught moms as professionals
BEFORE we had children can create major congnitive dissonance (my fav.
health education theory) and maybe even depression.  Before I had kids, I
worked in several prenatal and health clinics, hospitals, and a few
non-profit health orgs.  I cringe now when I think about the things we told
moms.  The things we were taught as "professionals" became almost biblical.
THEN, I had my own and was exposed to LLLI from the "inside."  I must admit
that I had to LEARN how to RELAX, trust my instincts, trust babies, trust
that if we don't muck up the process (even with seemingly innocuous things
like IVs) that moms and babies will "find their way with good  information
and support."  For those who haven't seen it, Margorie Tew published a great
book a few years back called SAFER CHILDBIRTH? that was called heresy by the
medical community.  It's a great example of how we repeat these problems
throughout women's health.

My family practitioner for my first child (1990) was "all over me" about
optimal weight gain being less than 25lbs, diet during pregnancy,
co-sleeping, etc....that is until SHE announced her pregnancy.  Toward the
end, we could both barely fit in the little exam rooms at UCLA (she was a
month 'behind' me in gestation).  She and I both gained 35 lbs, followed T.
Brewer's high protein diet, had 7.5 lb babies and breastfed for an extended
time.  I never heard another word about weight gain, co-sleeping, etc. after
her 3rd month of pregnancy.
Chris Hafner-Eaton, PhD, MPH, CHES, IBCLC    [log in to unmask]