Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:50:32 EDT
The news item from the link below really needs Weissinger-izing.  It  would
be much more powerful if it were.

The study adds to the "overwhelming evidence that women should, if they  can,
offer breast milk to their babies," she added.  This sentence  especially
bothered me because it separates mother and baby, and on a humorous  note, when I
read it, I imagined a baby sitting at a table like an adult being  offered a
glass of mother's milk as if it were a good wine.  To offer, in  my mind,
means the possibility of refusal and choice, and yes babies of all ages  are said
to be offered the breast, but I just see breastfeeding as something
babies/children need, not want.  I don't mean to be nit picking but that  sentence just
jumped out at me and rubbed me the wrong way.  Overall, the  article sends a
good message though.

Barbara Latterner, BSN, RN, IBCLC

_http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20081029/hl_hsn/breastfedbabymaymeanbetterbehaved
child_