From:
Cathy Liles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 21:58:26 -0500
Hi all,
I had an interesting experience this weekend working with a mother, her baby
was 4-5 days old , baby #5, long-term breastfeeding with the first four,
home birth with a midwife, baby was 9#10oz, mom called with extremely sore
nipples and abrasions across the center of the nipple. The nipples creased
during feeding.  We worked on positioning, baby wasn't getting tongue out
and under the breast well, she had a high palette, strong suck, mother had
to break suction often due to intense pain during latch and during entire
nursing, milk was in and dripping, baby was peeing and pooping fine, waking
frequently, eager to nurse whenever offered, sleeping 5-6 hours a stretch at
night (thank goodness), pain was unbearable for mother. She had an
interesting reaction to preparing to nurse, she would start sweating
profusely and then shaking uncontrollably when we latched the baby on. Her
legs and body would stiffen and she would grimace.  I have never seen such
an intense body reaction to nipple pain. Perhaps she was persevering beyond
the point most would persevere. We worked with the baby, did lots of skin
contact and sensory stimulation and also with comfort measures for her
nipples- she especially liked the hydrogel "burn packs" her pharmacist
father found for her. She seems to have turned the corner today and things
are getting better with each feed. Has anyone experienced that shaking
before? How did you handle it? She also seemed panicky or anxious, cried
easily and had wide mood swings and intense feelings of hopelessness. She
her husband was very supportive and older kids (ages 5-13) very helpful. I
would be interested in your thoughts. Thanks, Cathy Liles