From:
Rowena Tucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 07:54:06 -0800
Tracy, I'm posting only to the list because I couldn't be sure of your
e-mail address--my screen ran the letters together. You wrote that a
mom s/p surgery at 4 days PP and then hemorrhage at 9 days PP wants to
get her 2 month old back to the breast. Baby is receiving about 30%
ebm, some at breast, most from bottles. Your post on 10/26/98 had a
great plan! You also wrote, "cup, finger, or syringe feed and offer
pinky for soothing." I wonder if it would be possible for mom to feed
with cup only and offer only BREAST for soothing. (May be possible
since baby does receive some breast-feeds so must be willing to latch?
Is this the mom's first baby? Maybe she WILL have time for this plan
since she is not chasing a toddler, too!) OR, maybe SNS or Lact-aid
would do the trick! Has she considered Reglan for giving her supply a
quick boost? (I'm told Reglan should be used only as a temporary
boost---what do the WISEONES say about that?) What about Mother's milk
tea? Blessed thistle? I understand they can all be used with the
fenugreek. (Also,some sources say the tinctures are best.) How can
LLLL's refer moms to the herbs,etc without crossing the line of
"medical care"? Tracy, do chiropractors learn about herbs in their
training or are they interested in "alternative medicine" in general
and learn about them on their own? What a great combination---LLLL and
DC!  Please let us know what happens!

Regards, Rowena Tucker PA, LLLL, IBCLC
College Station, Texas

PS. Could the WISEONES comment please about the post partum
hemorrhage? Would hemorrhage 9 days out affect the milk supply the
same way that a bleed immediately after the birth would (by affecting
the pituitary?) Is it reasonable for this mom to expect to return to a
full milk supply? Thanks!