From:
Jan Cornfoot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 10:25:38 +1000
I regard isolating Valerie, and any others who challenge us, and persist, as censorship. It must also be quite hurtful to her personally, and I am grateful that she reminds us of what is happening on such a personal level.

I don't see her posts as negative, but as persistent, and concerned, and I support her right to say them. I have gone back through many posts.

I have given a lot of thought to this process and wonder about our own fears. Her posts challenge me to accept responsibility as an advocate to read more widely on what she has taken up as an important cause. It's not a topic to grab everyone's attention or interest. This is why I value her contributions, as she has done the groundwork, and we can follow through - If we want to - or ignore and delete.

Valerie, don't lurk, there are way too many lurkers and we need people like you to remind us of continuing responsibilities in the wider breastfeeding world.

Jan Cornfoot
Breastfeeding Advocate

Subject: What Lactnet is for

>>>I would like to learn from everyone especially on the topic of ethics, bio-engineering, patents, governmental systems, etc. but am turned off by some of the writers' tone of voice and attitude. Some of the ethical and political discussion have been thinly disguised "bashing" of someone else. The tone implies that anyone who doesn't agree with the writer is wrong.

There is a lack of respect and a mean spirited nature in some of these posts that is dividing us as breastfeeding advocates. Which is a huge shame.

When others have pointed out how negative and divisive these posts have become, the writers just continue to say they are right and the other opinion is wrong. I find it discouraging how these arguments keep cropping up on Lactnet lately. One side is saying "you must listen to me, I am right, but I won't listen to you because you are wrong."

We can't learn from the other person if we refuse to acknowledge that they have something to teach us. And we ALL have something to teach each other on Lactnet! Let's do it with respect, politeness, and as a way to encourage us
to be united in the cause of breastfeeding information and promotion.>>>>>>>>>>>