From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 1996 14:30:38 -0500
  As I am an LLLL, I believe in the advantages of mothering through
breastfeeding.  However, I live in an area where bottlefeeding is the norm
(from what I can tell around and about, no studies done).  I am almost always
the only mom on the playground nursing a baby OR a toddler.
  When I talk with a bottlefeeding mom, I have to rein in what I say about
the benefits of breastfeeding (and that somehow is always the topic when I
lift my shirt to nurse my one year old).  Okay, so the other mom is not
breastfeeding, we have established that.  But it is not *what* she feeds her
baby that boggles my mind, but *how*.  One can bottlefeed attachment-style,
after all, but I simply never see this.  What I see is propping bottles,
babies in carseat/stroller with mom giving bottle distractedly, precious
little holding of baby at all.  The happiest day in the life of these moms is
the day when the baby can hold his or her own bottle.  What is the deal????
  Breastfeeding or not, I want to HOLD my babies!  As for moms who want
*others* to be able to feed their babies, does anyone else actually do it day
in and day out?  does dad do middle of the night feed?  does MIL take baby in
the wee hours to give bottle?  Or is it *usually* still the mom who feeds the
baby??  My guess is that  it is still mom, so she rejected breastfeeding as
too "constricting" for no real benefit to either her or the baby.
  Sign me frustrated in south Florida,

          Lisa Jones