From:
Janet Vandenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 18:10:59 -0400
This is a copy of my letter to the editor:

Dear Editor,

I was disappointed to see this article in which Dr Snyderman passes
off her own personal experience as medical advice.  I am
surprised that you would publish such a biased and inaccurate
article.
While Dr Snyderman obviously made decisions about the feeding of her

own children which conflict with the latest AAP guidelines, WHO
recommendations and current research about breastfeeding, she does
not have the right to tell other mothers that they should not
bother with these recommendations unless she makes it clear that
it is her own personal opinion that is not based on or supported
by any research or commonly held medical opinion.  I would hope
that you will now give equal print space to a REAL expert on
breastfeeding.  Perhaps Dr. Ruth Lawrence or anthropologist
Kathy Dettwyler so that you can present a more balanced approach to
this very important issue.  The AAP did not develop their
recommendations without careful consideration of the available
research on the benefits of breastfeeding and the hazards of
formula.
You have done all your readers a disservice by printing this
article.
If even one mother is convinced to wean earlier than she had
intended
or not to breastfeed because of the negative attitude she read in
your
article, then you will be responsible for the increased health risks

that child will be exposed to.  I cannot see any  possible GOOD that

could come from this negative article.

Janet Vandenberg
RN, BScN