From:
Kershaw Jane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 08:49:36 -0500
Perhaps this is in response to the initiative that has caused us to lose our feeding tubes that fit standard syringes.  Now everything has to be specially designed oral syringes and they do not hook up to old style feeding tubes.  New ones hospital cost (wholesale) is $18!  Only alternative is starter sns's which are expensive also and not so good for delivering miniscule sublingual colostrum!  Special causes will trump common issues - just like the few cases of kernicterus due to poor breastfeeding and poor follow-up have caused a kernicterus prevention effort that is quite expensive.  I'm sure someone has done a cost-comparison.