Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 18:35:21 EST
I work for the WIC in Florida.  We just received an award from the State of
Florida for having the largest increase in our BF rate in the state.  Our rate
increased by 9.5%!  The following is what we did to accomplish that -
1.  Prenatal education.  We offer a series of 6 classes strictly on BF.  These
classes are offered during the day at the Health Department and at night at
our local womens health clinic.
2.  Prenatal contacts.  At the mothers Weight check she automatically sees the
breastfeeding counselor also receilves a call 2 weeks prior to due date to
review the benefits of BF, hazards of formula feeding, nipple confusion and
discuss available support.
3.  Follow-up after delivery.  2-3 days after delivery - 6-7 days after
delivery - 3 weeks after delivery and 6 weeks after delivery.

Usually if the mother has met the counselor prior to delivery and spoken to
her she will be more willing to call for assistance and with any questions
that may come up.  Prenatal education has had the largest impact as most new
mothers want to do what is best for their baby and in class we teach Hazards
of Artificial Baby Milk!!
We are also one of the few WIC offices that offers electric breastpumps to
mothers
returning to work - free of charge!
Brenda Noyes
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor