From:
Heather Shelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 21:21:54 -0700
I have a question, permission to post is granted by the mom. I have a mom
that I am working with whose baby had 5 full meconium diapers in the 1st 24
hours of life then one mec diaper on day 3. After that baby has had none in
the next 3 full days. They are going to their pediatrician tomorrow for a
weight check. The doctor will probably send them to the hospital for a bili
check as they don't have any means to check it in the office except visual
guessing.

Baby has eaten every 2 hours during the day for the last 3 days, and every
3-4 hours at night. Mom is bursting with milk (has over 60 ounces in the
freezer at day 5 postpartum). Baby has been fed baby with a spoon and
syringe a few times when mom was too miserable to nurse. There is no yellow
coloring visible on baby, and baby has been wetting diapers often.

I know this isn't normal, but should we be more concerned? Her midwife has
come over to the house a few times and says not to worry right now. Baby is
acting alert and happy, not crying except when hungry, and sleeping fine?
What could be happening in his tummy?

On a side note this mom has a very small extra nipple near the base of her
breast. We turned her upside down on the couch to try and drain her bottom
ducts with a pump ( I know a bit odd, but mom was desperate for relief), and
discovered this. She thought that it was a mole (her husband said I told you
so when we discovered that it was probably a nipple), but milk is leaking
from this nipple, and the poor mom has a few ducts under the breast that
seem to be connected to this nipple and are making her very sore and
miserable. Any thoughts? I know that 3rd nipples have come up before here
and there on Lactnet, but thought that I would ask this also.

Heather Shelley

Issaquah, WA USA