From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 2005 19:09:06 -0500
I am not sure if we have WIC application areas set up in the big shelters
here in Houston (the county and city both have big WIC agencies with IBCLC
help here). I do not think there is a grocery store close to the Astrodome.
It is mostly business area immediately around the Astrodome. And the news
reports that the big shelters are emptying out. I think we are down to about
8,000 in the big shelters here in Houston, down from 25,000 on Tuesday. City
officials estimate that we have 150,000 evacuees here according to the
newspaper this morning. People are finding housing here, staying with other
families, or going back home. It sounds like the big shelters are going to
be phased out quickly. (Plans are changing as the situation has changed.
Things are going smoother here than expected.)

But, I do know that WICs in the Houston area are processing alot of people
from the hurricane areas, mostly Louisiana. The guidelines are relaxed -- if
you show ID from the state affected, you get processed immediately and
quickly, and without the documentation usually asked for. Of course, one has
to meet the requirements of being pregnant, post partum, or a child under 5.
The WIC agency that I work for is even taking walk in clients from the
hurricane areas. Several WIC clinics will be open on Saturday around the
city.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC