Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:11:08 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
Dear all:

My comments about being in positions of power came from a wonderful man who worked 
for a nongovernmental organization.  And I think we all in some form or another find 
ourselves in positions of power in relation to others, whether it is the client that is looking 
to us for our advice, our children looking to us for guidance, or other health care 
practitioners whose profession may be organizationally or structurally considered "less 
powerful" than our own.  

I met Tim Stone on numerous occasions during in Cambodia and West Africa.  The last 
time I met him was at a conference in West Africa.  I cannot remember whether it was a 
conference on iodine, vitamin A, or child malnutrition.  I do remember that the meeting 
was attended by members of various Ministries of Health and the purpose was for 
working groups to develop regional policies.  Tim Stone behaved quite differently than the 
majority of the outside "experts" who had been invited to the meeting.  He rarely got up 
to speak.  He did not come up with plans of his own to foist upon the Ministry of Health 
members in his working group.  What he did was far more important.  He worked within 
his group to elicit ideas from various members, develop points of commonality among the 
various members, and encouraged them to articulate their own plan in a way that would 
be clear to others.  It was an entirely behind the scenes endeavor and his group 
presented their own plan unlike some of the other groups that went along with the 
"expert's" opinion.  This was the way that he operated as a "guest" in a culture not his 
own.  With deep respect for his counterparts that they had the ability to come up with 
their own solutions given encouragement.

Before September 11th and the Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania, Tim Stone 
was traveling out of either Madagascar or Mozambique on a plane that was highjacked.  
The plane crashed near the Comoros Islands.  

Susan Burger

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2