From:
Diane DiSandro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:52:03 UT
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  I have just arrived home from spending the
day at the hospital with my husband and his family, waiting while my
father-in-law went thru some risky cancer surgery.  (the surgery was very
successful, thank you :-)   I came home exhausted and head-achey...and read
that marvelous post!  It made my day!  I agree about moms who need to say
"I've tried EVERYTHING...even a Lactation Consultant....."

My favorite was a mom a few years back.  I had to go through a security gate
at her mansion.  Was announced by a "real" butler, and saw many staff working
throughout the house.  We were even interrupted by Cook, to plan the dinner
menu!!  Mom had real sore nipples.  Instead of breaking suction, she just
pulled baby off the breast after 10 minutes.  Among other topics, we talked
about breaking suction.  Mom had 2 inch long sculptured nails, which she told
me she had manicured once or twice per week.  I had the audacity to suggest
that she have one nail shortened for a week or so, so that she could break
suction  until baby got the idea.  She stood up, asked me to leave her house,
and said "Babies make some change in life, but do you actually think I would
cut my nails just so that I could breastfeed??"  She later wrote me a letter,
appalled that I would have made such a personal, intimate suggestion and that
I was way out of line!!

Of course this mom also would have "done anything" to be able to make it work!
 Hope the dog didn't get to her!!

Still smiling,
Diane DiSandro, BA, IBCLC