From:
Kathy & Paul Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 19:55:39 -0500
> But, I must tell you, I am almost 32 years old.  I was born 6
> weeks early and
> weighed less than 4 pounds.  I was bottlefed.  I have taken
> antibiotics twice
> in my life and get a mild cold, perhaps once a year.
>
> I am not less healthy than breastfed babies.
>
> There are people in existence who do not fit that profile.

Hmm...my first thought on this was that anecdote does not equal data.  Of
course there are healthy bottle-fed children, just as I have three
*non-healthy* breastfed children.  But...we will not change the perspective
of breastfeeding as the norm if we continue to sugar coat the truth...that
breastfeeding is the norm, and feeding a baby either an artificial formula
or straight cow's milk (as I was in 1967--2% milk, no less) is substandard.
Yes, there are valid reasons for some babies not being given their mother's
milk but those cases *should be* rare.

>  And, it is harder for me to see the virtues of breastfeeding
> when I read a
> negative conclusion about my upbringing that is, as it pertains
> to me, a lie.

Again, you cannot look at the experiences of one person and erase what years
of research based on many, many subjects has shown.

We do all women a disservice when we hedge around the truth and tell them
that their children will be "fine" if not breastfed.  It can be really hard
to do that and I have found myself dancing around the truth when asked
directly by a struggling parent if their baby really will be okay on
formula.  On Lactnet, at least, we needn't be afraid to be worried about the
truth.

This almost goes back to that ancient discussion about mothers who won't
breastfeed feel guilty and mothers who can't feel grief.

Kathy