From:
Johanna Berger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 1998 13:26:59 -0500
Regarding the mom who seemed to be very needy and somewhat convinced that
breastfeeding might not go well, again.  Some things to ask/suggest/look
for:  does she have any time alone with the baby?  How much help is she
getting around the house?  How did she react after the birth of her other
children?  Maybe a play group would be helpful.  LLL meetings/counselor
would be great.  Just someone to check in  on her every day for a few
weeks.  Check for PPD.  Just because she wasn't depressed (or states she
wasn't) with the her other children doesn't mean it can't happen.  Can
she hire a babysitter/mother's helper?  It's summer, so there might be
some kids hanging around who can help.  I know I would be taken off in a
straight jacket if I didn't have my fabulous sitter 2 afternoons/wk.
Some people just have a really hard time asking for help and it needs to
be offered.   JMHO.
Johanna Berger, LSW
Breastfeeding  Counselor

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]